Friday, March 25, 2016

The importance of motherhood


To my kids, 

I can not fully express to you the joy I get from being your mother. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life, but it also the best thing I have ever done. I do believe that one of my main purposes here on this earth is to be your mother. I love this quote from Elder Andersen,

10833
Image Source
I'm not sure I have always made you feel like you are this important in my life. I hope I have, but I'm really not that sure. I want you to know that I have tried my hardest and that I hope you guys will understand how important motherhood is to our Heavenly Father.

I know that motherhood isn't all that popular anymore. These days women are supposed to be able to "do it all" but no one really succeeds at doing it all...something(s) always get less than the best and I'm afraid that children tend to be that something.

I want you all to know that I wish your dad and I had made better decisions earlier in our marriage that would've allowed me to stay at home with all of you. I missed a lot while you older three were young. I'm glad that things have worked out so that I could stay home these last almost 10 years. I have enjoyed the time I had to spend with all of you in those hours when I used to be at work.

In the Proclamation it says,
"By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners."
Does this mean that the only thing a mother can/should do is nurture the children? Of course not! Mothers and fathers are to work together to support and raise their children. Please do what you need to do for your family. You all know that I spent many years working to help support our family. Hopefully that didn't diminish the nurturing that I was able to do. 

The world today is full of all kids of "mommy wars". Stay-at-home vs. working moms, breastfeeding vs. bottle feeding, helicopter moms vs. free-range parenting. It seems like it doesn't matter what you do, someone will tell you that it's wrong and you are totally screwing up your kids. Please know that being a parent, especially a mother, is the best thing you (or your wives) can do in this life. From my text, Sister Sheri Dew was quoted,
"Of all the words they could have chosen to define her role and her essence, both God the Father and Adam called Eve "the mother of all living"--and they did so before she ever bore a child....Motherhood is more than bearing children....It is the essence of who we are as women. It defines our very identity, our divine stature and nature, and the unique traits our Father gave us."
Women have a divine role in the plan of our Heavenly Father. We are the creators, with Him, of life. Mothers have an incredible influence in the lives of their children. Sami, I hope you remember that...and boys, always support your wives in their role as the mother of your children. It is such a big responsibility, but it brings such joy into your lives. Also...it is HARD to be a mother. The truest meme I've even seen on Facebook said, "Behind every successful child is a mom who's sure she's screwing it up". Always! I am always worried that I'm doing something that will mess you up for the rest of your life!

I just want to leave you with these last few thoughts...

10829
Image Source
10861
Image Source
Never forget that your dad and I love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment